Hero Image

Have you been injured in an accident at work?

If you have been injured in an accident at work that wasn't your fault, contact us to find out if we can help you make a no win no fee personal injury claim.

Call us free on 0800 678 1410

Accident at Work Claims – Get the Compensation You Deserve!

Workplace accidents can occur in all industries. So, whether you work in retail, public services, armed forces, finance or construction, there is always the potential that you could suffer an injury or illness due to an accident at work.

Sustaining any type of injury, especially at work, can have a significant impact on your physical and mental well-being. You might be unable to work, take your kids to school, go to the gym or carry out other daily activities while you recover from your injuries. All of which can cause financial losses, stress and disruption to your life.

If you have suffered an injury at work and you weren’t at fault, you may be entitled to make an accident at work compensation claim under personal injury law.

To find out if you have a valid claim, contact us today to discuss your case. An experienced legal adviser will provide you with a free case assessment and will be able to answer any questions you may have. If you are entitled to make a claim, we will connect you with a team of specialist personal injury solicitors who work on a no win no fee* basis. This ensures there are no upfront costs and nothing to pay if your claim is unsuccessful.

CTA Image

Speak to a legal advisor, today!

Friendly legal advisors are available to discuss your work accident claim today.

  • Find out if you have a valid claim
  • A risk free, no win no fee service
  • We are available 7 days a week
  • Experienced personal injury lawyers

To get started, call free on 0800 678 1410 or use our online claim form to request a call back. You can also read our comprehensive guide to accident at work claims below, where we have answered many of the most common questions and concerns about the claims process.

Am I eligible to make an accident at work claim?

To be eligible to make an accident at work claim, you must be able to satisfy certain criteria, which include the following:

  • Your accident must usually have occurred within the last three years. Unless your symptoms were not recognised until a later date, such as in the case of illnesses caused by exposure to asbestos. In this situation, the three years may start from the time that you became aware of your illness or injury (known as the date of knowledge).
  • It must be possible for your solicitor to demonstrate that the liability for your accident was with your employer. This means that it must be proven that your employer was to blame for your injury.
  • Of course, to make a personal injury claim you must have suffered some form of injury. You can’t make a claim for a lucky escape or for something that could have happened.

Every employer has a legal duty to ensure that they provide a safe working environment for their workers. So whether you work for the council, the NHS, a large multi-national organisation or a small family business, you have the same rights when it comes to workplace accidents.

Part of their legal obligation is to minimise hazards in the workplace and to carry out regular and thorough risk assessments. The requirements of employers are set out by various regulations, including the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, which aims to minimise the potential for workplace accidents.

If your employer fails to meet these requirements and you have suffered an injury as a result of their negligence, you should be eligible to make a compensation claim against them.

Sometimes, a work injury is not entirely the employer’s fault. You may also hold some of the blame if, for example, you weren’t paying attention to where you were going or chose to use a broken ladder. This is known as contributory negligence.

If you find yourself in this situation, do not assume you cannot take any action. You could still be entitled to make a workplace accident claim, but any injury compensation you win will be reduced to reflect the extent to which you were to blame. For example:

  • If you are entitled to £100,000 in damages, but you were deemed 20% legally responsible for what happened, you could expect your award to be reduced to £80,000.
  • If you are entitled to £100,000 compensation, but you were 50% to blame, you may be awarded £50,000.
  • If you were more than 50% to blame or the accident was entirely your fault, you would not be eligible to make a workplace injury claim.

The accident at work solicitors we partner with are experts in this field. They will be able to build a strong case in your favour and highlight that your fault in the accident was minor to secure the best compensation amount for your injury and financial losses.

An injury at work could also be caused by a coworker’s negligence, action or inaction. Even in this case, you have every right to start a work accident claim. In such situations, the coworker will not be liable for compensation but rather your employer.

Vicarious liability is a rule of law that places strict liability on employers for any negligent or wrongful act an employee commits. Common reasons for workplace accidents caused by a coworker include the following:

  • Insufficient training on how to use machinery or equipment
  • Your employer hired a coworker who was not qualified for the job
  • A lack of health and safety measures in the workplace
  • Faulty or poorly maintained equipment or machinery
  • Failure to maintain a safe working environment and hazards such as slippery surfaces and lack of warning signs

If your employer took all the reasonable measures dictated by the law, they cannot be held liable for your coworker’s actions. However, you could start an injury at work claim through the CICA if your colleague caused you intentional harm. This is a government organisation funded by taxpayers that pays compensation to blameless victims of crime.

You could still make a work accident compensation claim even if there were no witnesses to your injury. A witness statement that corroborates your account of what happened can provide key evidence for your case. However, it is not a requirement for starting a work accident claim.

A witness could also be someone who did not see first-hand how you were injured in an accident. For example, it could be a colleague or supervisor who was aware of workplace health and safety issues, such as poorly stacked items or faulty machinery.

If no witnesses can support your claim, your case will be ruled based on a balance of probabilities and other evidence you can produce. This could include medical records, photographs of the accident scene, CCTV footage or training records. The balance of probabilities involves determining whether your account of the events is more likely than the defendant’s.

If you suffered an accident at work and your employer denies liability, that does not mean you will be denied compensation. If your solicitor can establish a breach of duty, they will contact your employer and state the basis of your claim. They will have three months from this point to investigate the case and gather facts about the incident.

If your employer denies liability at the end of this period, that means:

  • They do not accept legal responsibility for your accident
  • They do not think they should pay you work injury compensation

They may do this to try and discourage you from making a claim and convince you to accept a lower offer from them. They may be reluctant to report the incident to their insurer, which could increase their insurance premium. Do not take any compensation from your employer before talking to a personal injury lawyer.

Whatever their reasons for denying liability, this will not affect your right to claim. Moreover, their insurance company may accept your accident at work claim regardless. Settling a case in the early stages is typically more cost-effective than going to trial.

If the insurance company also denies liability, your personal injury solicitor may issue court proceedings. This may incentivise your employer to admit fault and start negotiations to settle your claim. Otherwise, your case will go to trial and be decided by a judge based on the available evidence.

Can I make a no win no fee accident at work claim?

Absolutely. We completely understand that making a personal injury claim, especially against your employer, can be incredibly daunting and stressful. That is why we only work in partnership with experienced solicitors that provide a 100% No Win No Fee service to clients.

No win no fee claims are also known as a Conditional Fee Agreement or CFA. Processing your claim on this basis will give you the confidence of knowing that you will not be out of pocket if your case is lost.

With no win no fee, there are no upfront costs, no hidden charges and you only pay for your solicitor’s services if they win your case. The fee paid to your solicitor if they win is called a success fee, and can be no more than 25% of the compensation amount you are awarded.

As part of the service, your solicitor may arrange an After the Event (ATE) insurance policy on your behalf. This covers all of the legal costs that you would otherwise be liable for if your claim is unsuccessful, including the defendant’s legal fees.

Your injury solicitor will offer to work for you on a no win, no fee arrangement if their initial case assessment highlights that you have valid grounds for making a claim.


No win No Fee Guarantee

Our no win no fee guarantee ensures you never have to worry about unexpected fees or financial risk. Your solicitor will only receive a success fee if they win your claim.

Learn more

What legislation is in place to prevent accidents and injuries at work?

Workers rights and health and safety are heavily legislated areas of law. Many pieces of legislation are in place to reduce the risk of workplace accidents and aim to protect workers. Some laws are very specific to certain risks or industries, whereas others are much wider in their reach.

If an employer fails to observe their legal duty of care and an employee suffers an injury because of this, the employer can be held liable and face a subsequent personal injury claim being made against them.

Some of the current legislation that aims to protect employees from work accidents by regulating safe working practices include:

  • The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 is the primary piece of legislation that covers workplace health and safety in the UK. This act requires employers to take reasonable steps to ensure their employees’ health, safety, and well-being while they are at work. They must conduct risk assessments, provide a safe workplace environment, and adequately train staff, among other requirements.
  • The Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992 places a duty on employers to ensure workers have suitable personal protective equipment (PPE) against various workplace hazards. The PPE must be provided free of charge, compatible, maintained and correctly stored. Furthermore, employees must have sufficient information, instruction and training on how to use the PPE correctly.
  • The Work at Height Regulations 2005 applies to all work at height with a risk of injury from falling. Employers must avoid all work at height when possible. When this is not an option, they must ensure that all work is suitably planned, supervised and carried out by competent people. Employees must receive the right equipment, such as ladders, scaffolding, and safety harnesses. This must be inspected regularly for safety and maintained in good working condition.
  • The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 aims to ensure the safety of those who work with or near electrical systems and equipment. Employers must conduct risk assessments to identify and evaluate potential electrical hazards in the workplace. Employees must be competent and adequately trained to perform their tasks safely. They must also receive appropriate PPE, such as safety boots and insulating gloves.
  • The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 places duties on those who own, operate, or control work equipment. Work equipment refers to any machinery, tools and appliances used at work. Employers must ensure this is suitable for its purpose and maintained in an efficient state and good repair. All people using or supervising the equipment must have proper training and health and safety information.
  • The Control of Noise at Work Regulations 2005 aims to ensure that workers do not suffer damage to their hearing while carrying out their jobs. It requires employers to assess the noise risks at work and ensure they do not exceed legal noise exposure limits. They must also provide employees with information, instructions, training and proper hearing protection.
  • The Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992 require employees to avoid hazardous manual handling tasks as far as reasonably possible. Manual handling refers to any activity that involves lifting, lowering, pushing, pulling, carrying, or moving objects by hand or bodily force. When such operations cannot be avoided, employers must identify associated risks and take measures to reduce or eliminate them. Workers must receive appropriate training and information, as well as the necessary equipment to carry out the job safely.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is a government agency responsible for regulating and enforcing workplace health and safety. The HSE was established by the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, and it aims to prevent deaths, illnesses, and injuries to employees. It does this in various ways, such as:

  • It gives advice, guidance, and information to both employers and workers
  • It develops and enforces regulations to keep people safe at work in different industries
  • It inspects and investigates companies to make sure they follow these regulations
  • It publishes materials, guidelines, and resources to help companies understand and implement best practices
  • It keeps track of workplace accidents, illnesses, and fatalities
  • It promotes workplace health and safety through ads, training, and teaching
  • It looks closely at severe accidents at work to learn why they happened and how to stop them from happening again
  • If a company breaks the safety rules, the HSE has the authority to prosecute them

Under UK law, employers must report certain types of accidents and illnesses to the HSE, or they may risk heavy fines. They will investigate all the reports of severe injuries, such as brain trauma, multiple fractures, blindness, or fatalities. If you want to claim for an accident at work, you don’t have to wait for the HSE to finish their investigations. However, you can use their report to support your case if available.

Under RIDDOR (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases, and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013), employers must report the following types of work accidents and illnesses:

  • Fatal accidents. Any work-related accident or act of violence that leads to the death of a worker or member of the public;
  • Major injuries. Injuries such as fractures, amputations, dislocations, severe burns, loss of sight, damage to the brain or internal organs;
  • Over-seven-day injuries. Any accident that results in an employee being away from work or unable to perform their duties for more than seven days in a row;
  • Occupational diseases. Diagnosed cases of certain work-related conditions, like carpal tunnel syndrome, asthma, cancer, or hand-arm vibration syndrome;
  • Dangerous occurrences. There are 27 categories of near misses that must be reported to the HSE, such as the collapse of scaffolding, the accidental release of a dangerous substance, or machinery malfunctions;
  • Gas incidents. Any accidental release of gas that results in a worker’s death or requires them to be taken to the hospital.

Employers must report these incidents to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). The HSE will investigate the case and take necessary measures to prevent such accidents in the future. Failure to report RIDDOR incidents when required can result in legal action being taken against the company.

What are the most common types of accidents at work?

There are a huge variety of injuries that are sustained in the workplace each year from all types of industries. Personal injury solicitors have experience processing claims for people who have suffered injuries and illnesses in many different circumstances.

Some of the most common work-related accidents that result in claims for compensation include:

  • Falls, slips and trips – often over obstructions, loose wiring, spillages or poorly fitted floor coverings
  • Back injuries sustained through heavy lifting and manual duties (the HSE reports that in 2021/2022, there were approximately 0.5 million work-related musculoskeletal disorders reported)
  • Falls from heights, particularly by those who work up ladders and with scaffolding
  • Vehicle accidents, most often involving forklift trucks, agricultural vehicles and HGVs
  • Injuries caused by dangerous tools or machinery accidents
  • Accidents which are the result of improper training of staff
  • Repetitive strain injuries and Vibration White Finger injuries from the repeated use of vibrating tools
  • Failure to provide adequate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
  • Hearing loss and damage from excessive noise in the workplace

Figures issued by the Health and Safety Executive show that more than 560,000 employees suffered a workplace injury in 2021-2022.

Common workplace accidents based on industries

As highlighted above, there are many different types of workplace accidents that can lead to injuries of varying severity. Unfortunately, some of the most common claims that injury lawyers deal with are for accidents and injuries that we see happen again and again in specific industries, such as:

The construction industry is renowned for being high-risk because of the use of heavy machinery and vehicles and the labour-intensive nature of the work. For this reason, there are many specific regulations put in place by the government to help ensure that the construction sector is as safe as possible. But even with such health and safety rules and regulations in place, construction and building site workers are still particularly vulnerable to injury.

Some of the most common construction work accidents include:

  • Back injuries and joint disorders from manual handling
  • Falls from heights, particularly those working with scaffolding and ladders
  • Improper supply or use of PPE such as safety boots, helmets, goggles, gloves and safety harnesses
  • Inadequate maintenance of machinery and equipment
  • Exposure to unsafe substances or continued exposure to building byproducts such as dust
  • Vehicle injuries such as being hit by a forklift truck or digger

All construction industry employers have a legal responsibility to maintain a safe environment to work in. Through regular risk assessments, employers should remove or minimise dangers that pose a risk to their staff. If an employer does not observe this duty of care, they can be considered liable for any accidents or injuries that subsequently occur at work.

Employees who work in a factory or warehouse will be aware of the vast number of risks that they face on a daily basis. With heavy machinery, multiple vehicles, a fast pace and often the need to work at heights, factory and warehouse workers have numerous dangers to contend with.

Some of the most common factory accidents that injury solicitors have processed claims for include:

  • Slips, trips and falls – often on wet floors and because of obstructions or poorly maintained flooring
  • Falls from heights
  • Machinery malfunctions
  • Vehicle accidents – particularly with forklift trucks
  • Injuries caused by improper manual handling
  • Being struck by falling items from shelving
  • Manual handling injuries from heavy or repetitive lifting

The types of injuries that occur in factory and warehouse accidents range from minor to very serious and sometimes, even fatal. Accidents in this sector can have a devastating impact on a person’s ability to work, earn and live a full life.

There will naturally be inherent dangers that members of the armed forces face. But this does not mean that those working for the military are denied the right to a safe working environment. Nor does it preclude them from the possibility of claiming compensation following an accident that has resulted from negligence.

If any member of the armed forces has suffered an injury because they were not adequately trained, did not receive the right protective equipment, fell victim to faulty machinery or was involved in a military vehicle accident, they may be entitled to make a military injury claim.

Military personnel injured due to their service also have the option of claiming compensation through the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme. This has a time limit of seven years from when the injury or illness occurred.

Industrial sites pose a variety of risks to workers, especially if their employer does not observe the appropriate health and safety regulations. The most common causes of industrial site accidents that solicitors deal with are related to faulty machines, falls from heights, vehicle accidents and being hit by falling objects.

As well as these types of accidents, claims can also be made for illness and injury caused by harmful substance exposure, hearing loss, chemical burns and vibration injuries.

Offices may seem like one of the safest environments to work in, but they are certainly not exempt when it comes to workplace accidents. Injuries sustained in office accidents can range from minor injuries to very serious, life-changing issues.

The most common accidents that occur within offices include:

  • Slips, falls and trips over obstructions and wet floors
  • Poorly maintained electrical equipment, which leads to shocks and burns
  • Repetitive strain injury from typing and other repetitive tasks
  • Eye strain injuries from poor workstation design
  • Back injuries from improper workstation setups and even from manual handling when the employee lifts boxes of supplies, water-cooler tanks, etc.

An office may be a less risky environment than more industrial settings, but office employers have the same legal duty to provide a safe workplace for their staff.

If your employer has failed in their duty of care to provide a safe setting, train you properly or maintain equipment, and you have suffered an injury or illness as a result, you may be entitled to make a claim for compensation.

The safety of an agricultural workplace is one of the most temperamental, with accidents often being very serious, and even fatal. All farms and agricultural businesses have a duty of care to protect their workers from unnecessary risks, and they are legally obliged to carry out risk assessments and observe strict health and safety regulations. Still, we do see common injuries sustained in farm accidents and agricultural settings, which include:

  • Back pain, sprains and joint damage from manual work and heavy lifting
  • Injuries caused by faulty or inadequately serviced machinery such as tractors and cherry pickers
  • Farmer’s lung, which is an illness caused by the continual breathing in of dust from old crops and presents allergic reaction symptoms
  • Asbestos exposure illnesses from old farm buildings and demolition work
  • Slips and trips from untidy workspaces
  • Falls from heights when working on ladders
  • Injuries suffered when working with farm animals
  • Lacerations from barbed wire and other sharp objects
Healthcare workers, including doctors, nurses, paramedics, and other staff, are exposed to various risks and hazards in their workplace. They may suffer from minor incidents to serious injuries. Some common causes and types of healthcare worker accidents include:

  • Slips, trips, and falls due to spills, wet floors or cluttered walkways
  • Needlestick injuries from needles or other sharp objects that carry the risk of infections
  • Injuries to the back due to lifting or moving patients
  • Exposure to infectious diseases
  • Verbal or physical abuse from patients or their families
  • Stress, burnout, or mental health issues due to the nature of their work, long hours, and exposure to traumatic events

All healthcare facilities must adhere to health and safety regulations. They must provide appropriate training and PPE and have measures to prevent accidents and injuries. Failure to do so may lead to a successful work injury claim.

The retail and hospitality sectors encompass many businesses, such as shops, restaurants, hotels, bars, and entertainment venues. Accidents in these industries can lead to harm ranging from minor to life-threatening. All employers and business owners must protect the health and safety of their employees. Common causes of injury in retail and hospitality settings include:

  • Slips and trips due to wet or slippery floors, cluttered walkways or poor lighting
  • Falls from heights, such as ladders, scaffolding, or other elevated structures
  • Manual handling injuries from improper lifting techniques, heavy loads and repetitive motions
  • Falling objects from shelves, unstable shelving units or falling overhead signs
  • Burns and scalds from contact with hot surfaces, fires or harmful substances
  • Injuries and psychological trauma due to assaults from violent customers
The transportation and haulage industry refers to the movement of goods and people by road, rail, sea, or air. Transport accidents most commonly involve road traffic collisions. These can affect drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and others. They may have various causes, such as:

  • Driver fatigue due to long hours on the road
  • Excessive speeding or reckless driving
  • Inadequate training and lack of experience
  • Poor vehicle maintenance
  • Overloading or improperly secured loads
  • Sudden mechanical failures, such as brake or engine malfunctions
  • Insufficient rest breaks
  • Poor road or weather conditions

If your employer has failed to take reasonable measures to keep you safe from injuries, you could claim compensation for an accident that was not your fault.

Common types of workplace injuries

Workplace accidents can cause many different injuries to employees, ranging from minor to life-changing and even fatal. These can vary depending on the type of job and work environment and include:

  • Sprains and strains. These are injuries to muscles, tendons, and ligaments that range from overstretching to complete tears. They often result from lifting heavy objects, repetitive motions, or awkward postures.
  • Cuts and lacerations. Sharp objects, tools, or machinery can cause minor to deep cuts when not handled safely. Some injuries may need medical attention and cause permanent scarring.
  • Electric shocks. Electrical accidents can result in severe injuries, including burns, cardiac issues, and electrocution. In the worst cases, they may be fatal.
  • Burns. Burns can occur from hot surfaces, open flames, scalding liquids, or chemical exposures. They can affect only the top layer of the skin or extend deep into the underlying muscles, tendons and bones.
  • Eye injuries. If workers do not wear appropriate eye protection, particles, chemicals, or flying debris can cause eye injuries. They may range from eye strain to penetrating injuries and blindness.
  • Back injuries. Improper lifting techniques, heavy lifting, or inadequate ergonomics can lead to injuries to the back, including strains and herniated discs. Severe trauma can affect the spinal cord and lead to paralysis and loss of bladder and bowel control.
  • Head injuries. Falls, falling objects, or blunt force trauma can result in head injuries. These may range from cuts and lacerations to skull fractures and traumatic brain injuries. Severe damage to the brain can have permanent consequences, such as loss of independence and motor skills.
  • Fractures and dislocations. Accidents involving falls, machinery, or heavy equipment can lead to broken bones or joint dislocations. More severe fractures can lead to permanent loss of mobility, chronic pain and other issues.
  • Crush injuries. Workers can get trapped or pinned by heavy machinery or equipment, leading to crushing injuries.

If you suffered any injury due to your employer’s negligence, you may be eligible to claim compensation for an accident at work.

Besides injuries caused by acute trauma, you could also make a work accident claim if you develop an occupational illness. This refers to a medical condition that is primarily caused or aggravated by exposure to risks and hazards at work. Common examples of occupational diseases for which you could make a work injury claim include:

  • Repetitive strain injuries (RSIs). RSIs, such as carpal tunnel syndrome, can develop from repetitive tasks like typing or assembly line work. They cause pain, discomfort, or impaired function in the muscles, tendons, nerves, and other soft tissues.
  • Lung and respiratory issues. Workers exposed to dust, allergens, or toxic substances may develop respiratory problems. Common illnesses include asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), silicosis and asbestosis.
  • Hearing loss. Prolonged exposure to loud noises can lead to hearing loss or impairment. The hearing damage can range from tinnitus to complete deafness in both ears.
  • Injuries caused by vibration. Vibrating tools and machinery like power drills and chainsaws can affect the nerves, joints, muscles and other tissues. Prolonged use can lead to conditions like Vibration White Finger (VWF) and Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome (HAVS). These injuries can have long-term effects that impact your ability to work and carry out daily activities.
  • Occupational dermatitis. Work-related dermatitis is a skin condition caused by exposure to certain irritants or allergens. It is a common health issue that can affect workers in various industries. Symptoms can vary but often include redness, itching, dryness, cracking, and skin blistering.
  • Occupational cancer. Exposure to carcinogenic substances and other agents in the workplace can lead to cancer. There are various types of occupational cancer, including mesothelioma, bladder cancer and skin cancer.

If your employer has failed to take steps to protect your health at work, you may be eligible for compensation.

If you have a workplace accident, your primary concern should be to seek medical care. You should visit your GP or the hospital as soon as possible, even if you do not think your injuries are severe enough to warrant a visit to the doctor.

Medical records are an essential part of a work accident compensation claim. They provide evidence of the nature and extent of your injuries and the treatments you received and may prove the link between your accident and the harm you suffered.

While you may still be entitled to claim if you didn’t immediately seek medical help, this can present challenges to your case, such as:

  • It can be more difficult to establish a direct link between the accident and your injuries
  • The defendant could argue that your injuries were due to something else that happened after your accident
  • You risk making your injuries more severe and challenging to treat

Seeking treatment as soon as possible will also show you took reasonable steps to mitigate your loss. If you delay medical care, the defendant could argue this exacerbated your injuries, and they are not entirely at fault for their extent. That may result in a reduced compensation award.

If an accident at work worsens a pre-existing condition, you are still entitled to compensation from your employer. The principles of the claim stay the same as for any other injury. To have a valid case, you need to prove a link between your employer’s negligence and the worsening of your condition.

Common types of pre-existing conditions that could be made worse by a workplace accident include neck and back pain, fractures, and brain injuries. To make a strong case, your solicitor will look at the following:

  • What caused your condition
  • Whether the accident has worsened your condition
  • The degree to which your pain and discomfort have intensified
  • Their impact on your daily life before and after the accident
  • Any income you’ve lost from being unable to work
  • The financial expenses associated with additional medical treatment

With your approval, your solicitor will access your medical records and consult with experts to assess the impact of the accident on your existing condition. If your claim is successful, the amount of compensation you are awarded will only take into account the degree to which the accident made your injury or condition worse. In other words, you wouldn’t be compensated for the extent of the original injury that wasn’t your employer’s fault.

Yes, you can claim for a new accident even if you’ve already claimed for a different one in the past. Each accident and claim is typically assessed on its own merits, and the fact that you have made a previous claim does not necessarily prevent you from seeking compensation for another one. However, it is essential to remember that you cannot claim for the same injury twice. But as mentioned above, you would be entitled to claim if an accident worsened an existing injury.

Does my employment status affect my ability to make an accident at work claim?

Under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, employers are responsible for their employees. They must provide a safe environment for workers, adequate training and instructions, and necessary PPE. Employers may be liable for any resulting injuries when a workplace accident happens due to a breach of any of these duties.

While an employer’s duties are clear, workers do not always know their legal rights. For example, you might think only permanent employees are entitled to compensation for workplace accidents. But anyone could claim against their employer in case of negligence regardless of their employment status. The following sections provide further information on different types of employment:

If you are self-employed or unsure about your employment status, you may still be eligible to make a claim following a workplace accident. A personal injury lawyer can help you assess the cause and liability of your accident to determine whether you are entitled to pursue compensation for any injuries you sustained.

Self-employed people are usually responsible for ensuring that their own working environment, machinery and practices are safe. Because of this, many self-employed people believe they are not entitled to claim if they have an accident. This is not always the case, as often, self-employed people are contracted to work for other companies.

In these situations, it would be the responsibility of the company that the self-employed person is working for to provide a safe place of work. This means that if you are self-employed and have been injured whilst working for another company, you may still have a valid claim for personal injury compensation.

A zero hours contract is an employment contract between an employer and an employee. This arrangement states that the employer is not legally obliged to guarantee any working hours. Likewise, the employee does not have to accept any work they do not want and is free to work for other employers as well.

In 2023, about 1,18 million people in the UK were on zero hours contracts. This arrangement is commonly used in sectors such as care work, delivery driving and hospitality.

If you were injured in a workplace accident while on a zero hours contract, you can still make an accident at work claim. Employers have duties under health and safety legislation towards all employees, regardless of their employment status. You are entitled to compensation if they were at least partially at fault for your accident.

Knowing your rights can be challenging if you just started a new job and suffered an injury at work. You might be concerned that you do not have the right to claim compensation from your employer as a new employee. However, if they were negligent and at least partially at fault for your accident, you could still make an injury at work claim.

To learn more about your legal rights, do not hesitate to call 0800 678 1410 to talk to one of our personal injury lawyers. They will offer you a free case assessment and answer any questions you have about the claims process.

According to the Health and Safety Executive, employers are responsible for the health and safety of anyone they take in on work experience. Young people and students with work experience will be treated as employees for insurance. That means that if you decide to make a work accident compensation claim, you will be covered by your employer’s liability insurance.

However, if you are under 18, you cannot start a claim yourself. Instead, a parent or another suitable adult must start legal proceedings on your behalf. After turning 18, you have three years to claim for an accident at work if nobody else did it as your litigation friend.

You may decide to do voluntary work to help the community or increase your prospects of finding paid employment. That means you will not be paid for your work and may not have the same rights as paid employees.

Nonetheless, the employer you volunteer for still has a legal duty to protect your health and safety. They must provide a safe workplace, training on how to do your job and any necessary equipment. Failing to do so would make them liable for any injury sustained while doing voluntary work.

If you were injured while working as a volunteer, you should report the accident, get medical care and gather as much evidence as possible about it. A solicitor can help you make an injury a work claim on a no win no fee basis and secure compensation for your damages.

Under the Health and Safety guidelines, employers have the same responsibility towards people working from home as any other employee. They should conduct a risk assessment to determine whether it is appropriate for you to work from home. They may need to visit your home and ensure your work set-up is free of risks and that you have adequate tools and equipment for the job.

Your employer must provide advice and guidance on using home equipment safely and must supply any necessary PPE. Nonetheless, you also have to take reasonable care of your health and safety. Thus, making an injury claim while working from home can be complicated. But if you can prove that your employer was in some way negligent and directly caused your injuries, you may still be eligible for compensation.

If you have an accident abroad, you should report it to your employer as soon as it occurs. You should also gather as much evidence as possible to show how it happened and how it has affected you. If there was a breach of duty or negligence, the solicitors we work with could help you claim compensation for your injuries.

The country your employer is based in might affect how your solicitors pursue the claim. If they are UK-based, you can usually make your claim in the UK courts, even if your accident happened abroad. If your employer is based overseas, you may still be able to claim in the UK. However, in some cases, it may be beneficial to make your claim abroad, as you may be awarded more compensation.

The legal framework in the country where your accident occurred may also affect the time in which you can make your claim. While the claim limitation period is three years in the UK, it could be shorter in other countries. You should seek legal advice as soon as possible if you want to claim for an accident at work abroad.

Is there a time limit for making an accident at work claim?

There is a standard time limit for initiating a work accident claim of three years from the date of the accident. Once this three year period has lapsed, you would lose your eligibility to claim. The legal term for this is ‘statute barred’, and this simply means that your claim will not be processed if more than three years have passed since you sustained your injury.

However, there is an exemption to this rule in some situations. If you can prove that the symptoms of your injury or illness only became apparent after the accident, the three year time limit may begin from the date that it is deemed reasonable for you to have been aware of your injury.

For example, if you have suffered injuries or illnesses related to exposure to hazardous substances, the symptoms may not become apparent until several years after the exposure. In these situations, the time limit for beginning a claim would start from the ‘date of knowledge’, which is the date at which you can reasonably be expected to have recognised the symptoms. In most circumstances, the date of knowledge is the date of being diagnosed with the illness or injury by your GP or a doctor.

There is another exception which can apply to young workers. If you are under the age of 18 and have an accident at work, your 3 year time limit doesn’t start until the day you turn 18. So, if you had an accident when you were 16 years old, you would have until your 21st birthday to make your personal injury claim. If you wanted to make a claim before your 18th birthday, a parent or legal guardian could claim on your behalf.

Another exception to the standard three year rule applies to people who lack the mental capacity to conduct legal proceedings. This could be due to a serious brain injury caused by the accident or a pre-existing condition such as Down’s syndrome or Alzheimer’s. Similar to claims made on behalf of children, a suitable adult can take legal action on behalf of a person who lacks mental capacity. There is no time limit in these situations, although the longer it is left, the more difficult it may be to make a successful claim.

How much compensation can I claim for an accident at work?

The amount of compensation that is awarded to you will greatly depend upon your specific circumstances. An experienced solicitor will always strive to secure for you the highest award possible. To do this, they will need to demonstrate the level of your suffering and the extent of the impact that your workplace injury has had on your life. The greater your suffering and losses, the higher the compensation amount will be.

Successful personal injury claims will include compensation that is broken down into two distinct parts:

  • General damages, which is compensation for the pain and suffering caused by the injury.
  • Special damages, which is awarded to compensate for any financial losses caused by the accident and injury.

A solicitor will help you manage your expectations from the outset of your claim by giving you a realistic estimate of the amount you could expect to receive. When doing this, the solicitor will consider the following points:

  • The type and severity of your injury
  • How long the symptoms of your injury have lasted for and how long they are expected to last
  • Whether there are any long-term effects of the injury or whether you will suffer from permanent symptoms.
  • The impact on your earning potential, both past and future
  • Any costs that you have incurred because of the accident, such as medical treatment and travel expenses
  • How your injury has impacted on your personal life. For example, if your injury has prevented you from enjoying a full social life or doing things with your family.
  • Whether your future earning potential has been affected or whether your injury will impede your career progression

Your solicitor will consider your past and current pain and losses as well as the expected future impact. This means that your compensation award should reflect the extent that the accident has affected you to date, as well as compensate you for likely ongoing consequences.

The amount of compensation that should be awarded in each case is guided by the Judicial Studies Board (JSB). The JSB issues guidelines that advise the amount of compensation that should be issued for various injuries to different parts of the body. The JSB sets out the minimum and maximum compensation amounts that are advised for each type of injury. Solicitors and courts use these recommendations when negotiating appropriate settlement amounts for successful injury claims.

Want to find out how much compensation you could claim for a work accident? Use our compensation calculator or contact one of our friendly legal advisers for a free case assessment. Simply call 0800 678 1410 or use our online claim form to request a call back.

You can claim compensation for any lost earnings if you had to take time off work due to your injuries. If you will be off work for a considerable period, you can also claim for the expected future loss of earnings. Furthermore, your award could include loss of commission and overtime, loss of pension, bonus payments, lost holiday days and any other income you have lost.

You will need evidence to prove any loss of earnings, such as payslips, bank statements or written confirmation from your employer about your income. If you are self-employed, you may use invoices, copies of client orders and evidence of income from your accountant.

The compensation for loss of earnings is typically worked out by calculating how much you earn per day. This sum refers to the net pay after deducting any tax and insurance. This figure will then be multiplied by the number of days you missed from work. Importantly, any Statutory Sick Pay you received will be subtracted from the compensation award.

If you want to claim compensation for a workplace injury, you don’t need to worry that this will affect your employer financially. Under the Employers’ Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969, all businesses, large or small, must hold valid Employers’ Liability (EL) insurance against personal injury claims from employees. If your employer is found liable for your accident, their insurance company will pay your compensation.

There are a handful of exceptions to this legal duty. For example, small family businesses that are not a limited company are exempt if all employees are family members. EL insurance is also not compulsory for the National Health Service (NHS). All claims against the NHS are handled by their insurance company, NHS Resolution.

If you have a valid work accident claim, your solicitor will contact your employer’s insurer and negotiate the best compensation on your behalf.

The compensation you receive in a claim for an accident at work is not taxable. That means you get to keep all the money you obtain, apart from the success fee paid to your solicitor. The compensation aims to put you back in the same financial position you would have been in if the accident never occurred. For example, the award for lost wages will be the same as your net pay after tax deduction. Thus, there would be no reason to pay further income tax for these damages.

Some people may choose to invest their compensation. In this case, any interest you receive will be treated as taxable income. Income tax is payable even if the investment is made with funds from a personal injury trust.

An interim payment refers to a sum of money paid in advance to the claimant from the total amount of compensation. This payment aims to help you pay for medical care and cover lost earnings while the case is ongoing.

Interim payments are usually reserved for work accident claims that involve severe injuries, such as brain or spinal cord trauma. These cases typically take a long time to settle, during which you may face financial burdens. However, you must fulfil some criteria to be eligible for an interim payment, such as:

  • The defendant has admitted they are responsible for your injuries.
  • Any trial would likely go your way because you have clear evidence to prove liability.
  • You have a good reason for requesting the payment, such as pressing financial needs you cannot cover otherwise.
  • Your request is for a reasonable amount.

Your solicitor will apply for an interim payment early in the claims process to ensure your financial needs are taken care of, and you can focus on recovery.

While some employment contracts may state that your pay will remain unaffected if you are injured at work, employers are not typically obliged to pay you your entire wage. However, you may be eligible to claim Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) if you fulfil some criteria:

  • You are classed as an employee
  • You have been off work for more than four days in a row
  • Your income is more than £123 per week

The current SSP figure sits at £99.35 per week, which you can get for a maximum of 28 weeks. Any SSP you receive will be deducted from your compensation for lost wages if you make a successful claim for an accident at work.

You might also get an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) if you become ill or disabled due to your job. This is a weekly payment of a maximum of £207.60, calculated based on the level of your disability.

How do I make an injury at work claim against my employer?

To make a successful compensation claim against your employer following an accident at work, you will need to follow a number of steps. It is advised to begin the claims process as soon as possible to ensure that the evidence you need to support your claim is readily available and that you meet the time limits discussed above.

The process for making an accident at work claim will require completion of the following steps:

  • Ensure that you receive medical attention for your injuries as soon as possible. Receiving medical attention will help to ensure that you recover as quickly as possible and will also help to build the necessary medical evidence against those responsible. If you do not receive a medical assessment, it is unlikely that you will be able to make a successful claim for compensation.
  • Report the accident and your injuries to your employer. Accidents in the workplace must always be reported to your employer to ensure that the event is recorded and that the risk is minimised or removed for others. Your employer should have an accident book, and so the details of your incident should be included in this record. Your employer should note down when the accident occurred, how and where it happened, and details about the injuries you sustained.
  • The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) should be notified of your accident depending upon the circumstances. If your injuries are severe or if there is a risk of the accident happening again, it is imperative that the HSE are informed.
  • Gather evidence to support your claim. Ideally, take photographs of the scene of the accident, the cause of your injuries, the damage caused and close-up images of any relevant faults in machinery. If your employer disputes the allegation, photographic evidence can be invaluable in backing up your version of events.
  • Take witness details and statements. If anybody witnessed your accident or the immediate scene following the incident, make a note of their contact details. Your solicitor will aim to contact any witnesses to take a statement of what they saw, as these accounts can strengthen your claim significantly.

If you were not able to take photographs or record witness details straight after your accident, you might still be able to claim against your employer. Such evidence is not a legal requirement and simply serves to support your claim. Your solicitor will endeavour to build a case around whatever information you can provide.

If you want to start a claim after an accident at work, you need to provide as much evidence as possible. This will increase your chances of success and help you secure the best compensation amount possible. Depending on the circumstances, you may be able to collect and use the following types of evidence:

  • Medical records. Copies of your medical notes will help prove the type and extent of your injuries and the treatment you received.
  • Photographs and videos. Visual evidence of the accident scene, taken before anything is moved or repaired, can help establish what happened and who is to blame. You should also take photos of any visible injuries and your recovery process.
  • CCTV footage. Security camera footage can be invaluable to understand how your accident occurred and who was at fault.
  • Accident reports. You should report your accident to your employer and make sure they log it in the accident report book. The entry should contain details of the accident’s date, time, location and cause. You can request a signed copy of the report to support your claim.
  • Witness statements. If someone else saw what happened, their testimony could clarify what caused your injuries.
  • Employment records. These could include descriptions of your job responsibilities, the training you received, safety procedures, and any history of previous accidents. They can help establish the duties of your role and any safety violations.
  • Your notes. You should keep a journal and write down details about your injuries, symptoms, and their impact on your daily life. This can provide a personal account of your experience.
  • Financial evidence. Keep records of all the financial losses you incurred due to your workplace accident. These may include receipts, invoices, bank statements and payslips.

Your solicitor will help you gather all the evidence you need to make a successful work accident claim.

Sometimes, the symptoms of an occupational disease can take a long time to develop. When you become aware of the damage, you may have already left your job or retired. Even if you suffered a broken ankle from a trip at work, you might not take legal action immediately. You may no longer work for the responsible company by the time you decide to claim.

Whatever your situation may be, you can still make a work accident claim against a former employer. If there is a link between your injury and your workplace, liability stays with your employer even if you no longer work for them. However, remember that you typically have three years to start a claim after an accident or after becoming aware of an injury.

Many employees do not have a permanent place where they carry out their work duties. They may have to go to different locations daily, enter people’s homes, and even travel abroad. This applies to jobs such as construction workers, gardeners, delivery drivers, carers and sales agents.

Many people assume they cannot claim if they have an accident that is not on the company’s premises because:

  • No one at work witnessed it
  • Your employer is not responsible for the location

However, your employer is still responsible for your health and safety. They must take all reasonable measures to protect you while performing your duties, even if they do not control the premises. If your job involves travelling to different locations, your employer should carry out checks to identify possible risks and hazards and ensure you have a safe place to work.

If your employer is not liable for your accident, you may still be able to claim compensation from another third party, such as:

  • The property owner, under the Occupiers Liability Act 1957
  • The local council if you were injured due to poor road conditions
  • The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA), if you were the victim of a violent crime

An experienced solicitor can determine who may be liable for compensation if your work accident was not on company premises.

An accident book is not a legal requirement for all employers, but the Health and Safety Executive recommends it. However, the Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979 states that all businesses that employ ten or more staff are legally required to keep an accident book.

No workplace is free of accidents and injuries. Recording their details, no matter how minor the accident may be, can help identify risks and improve safety policies to prevent similar events. An entry in the accident report book should include the following:

  • The date, time and location of the accident
  • Details of who was involved
  • What happened
  • The injuries suffered as a result
  • Any treatments received at the scene

This information is essential for both the employer and employee if the latter decides to claim for an accident at work. If there is no accident book at your workplace, you can still email your employer and describe what happened. Any correspondence between you and them regarding the accident can be used as evidence in your case.

An accident book entry will make it almost impossible for your employer to deny what happened and can help your solicitor prove liability. If your accident was not recorded, you can still claim compensation by using other evidence, such as medical records and witness statements.

The thought of having to take a case to court can often put people off making a claim against their employer. However, it is important to note that more than 95% of all injury claims, including those for injuries at work, settle without going to court. Setting a claim without a trial has various advantages for both parties, such as:

  • It can significantly reduce legal costs
  • It is time-saving, as court cases take longer to resolve
  • The parties involved have more control over the outcome
  • Settling out of court can help keep the details of the case private
  • Reduced stress and flexibility

If the defendant is unresponsive or denies liability for your accident, your solicitor will issue court proceedings. That will usually persuade the other side to agree to a settlement and speed up the resolution of your claim. Your case may go to court if:

  • Your employer does not admit liability for your injuries even after issuing court proceedings
  • You fail to negotiate a settlement that both sides agree to
  • Your case is particularly complex and involves severe injuries or multiple parties

Even if your case goes to court, it does not necessarily mean you must attend the hearing. Your solicitor may be able to represent you. If you must attend court yourself, you should not worry about it. Your solicitor will be there to prepare and support you at every step. Also, civil claims do not involve a jury, only a judge who will decide the outcome of your case based on the available evidence.

To find out if you can start a no win no fee accident at work claim, call 0800 678 1410 today for a free case assessment. Or, you can enter your details into our online form to request a call back. Our personal injury team can let you know whether you have a valid claim and answer all your questions.

If you suffered any type of accident at work, you are legally entitled to claim compensation. Your employer would be acting against the law if they chose to sack you because you pursued a claim for any damages you sustained as a result. If they dismiss you for this reason, it would be considered unfair dismissal, and you would be entitled to take them to an employment tribunal.

They cannot treat you any differently either, such as:

  • Not pay you or suddenly demote you
  • Make unreasonable changes to your work schedule
  • Let other employees harass you

If you had to leave your job against your will due to your employer’s conduct, this would be considered constructive dismissal. This kind of treatment would also allow you to take action at an employment tribunal. To claim unfair dismissal, you typically must have worked for your employer for at least two years, but this rule does not apply to health and safety violations. You have three months minus one day to start your claim from the termination of your employment.

You should not worry that the claim may affect your employer financially. All employers must hold Employers’ Liability (EL) insurance against personal injuries to employees. If you make a successful claim, their insurance will pay your compensation, so they will not be left out of pocket.

Many work-related conditions can take years or decades to develop. Examples include occupational cancer, asbestosis, repetitive strain injuries and hearing loss. That means your employer may no longer be around when you become aware of your injuries. Even if you suffered damage due to acute trauma, the company you worked for might go bust if you do not immediately start a claim.

If your employer has gone out of business since you had your accident, you may still be eligible for compensation. The employers’ liability insurance your employer held while trading would mean a claim can be made against the policy, even if the employer no longer trades. This type of case will be more complicated and will likely take longer. Still, your solicitor will be able to progress the claim and negotiate your settlement award with the employer’s previous insurer.

They will use the Employers’ Liability Tracing Office (ELTO) platform and records from Companies House to track down your employer’s former insurer. If both your employer and their insurer ceased trading, you may still be able to claim through the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS).

The FSCS is an independent organisation funded by the financial services industry. This scheme provides businesses with statutory protection if their insurance company goes bust. If all other options fail, your solicitor will start a claim with the FSCS. This scheme must pay out 100% of any valid claim for an accident at work if the employer had liability insurance while trading.

Yes. You are entitled to compensation for a workplace injury regardless of whether your employer had valid EL insurance. However, it is usually quite rare for an employer not to be insured. They would be breaking the law and could be fined £2,500 a day and face legal penalties. If your employer is uninsured and you have a work-related accident, they would be liable to pay the compensation out of their pocket.

If your employer has insurance, but their insurer cannot afford to pay your compensation for any reason, you can claim through the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). Your solicitor will negotiate with the FSCS to obtain the maximum compensation on your behalf.

The amount of time it takes to complete your compensation claim will depend upon the particulars of your case. Factors such as what happened, the extent of your suffering and who is responsible will impact upon the length of time it takes to reach a final settlement.

For cases where liability is accepted straight away by the employer, and there is no need for further medical examinations or ongoing observations, the claim can usually be settled fairly quickly. For straightforward claims such as this, the claimant can usually expect a final offer within a few months of initiating their claim.

However, the claim process can last much longer for more complex cases. If the employer does not accept liability or the injuries sustained are ongoing or need additional treatment, the claim will likely take longer to conclude.

For the most complex cases, particularly those where liability is disputed, a court hearing may be required to determine who was responsible for the accident. A court hearing will add further time to proceedings but will help to finalise liability and secure a conclusion as soon as possible.

If liability is accepted, it may be possible to arrange an interim compensation payment if you are not able to work because of your injuries and your claim will not be finalised quickly. The interim payment can help cover the cost of treatment and assist with loss of income and transport expenses. The interim payment is effectively an advanced part payment of your compensation. The amount paid in advance will later be deducted from your final settlement award.

To find out the likelihood of your claim being successful, contact a solicitor for a free case assessment. By listening to the details of your accident and the injury you have suffered, a personal injury solicitor will be able to provide guidance on the strengths of your case.

If your employer has admitted liability for the accident and your injuries, the chance of you making a successful compensation claim is likely to be very high.

If on the other hand, your employer disputes liability or suggests that you were partly to blame for the accident, the case can be more complex. But don’t worry, as solicitors have a huge amount of experience handling all types of injury claims. They will thoroughly review the particulars of your case and will give an honest and professional opinion as to the most likely outcome.

As mentioned above, all of the personal injury lawyers we work in partnership with provide a no win no fee service. As they will only receive payment for their services if your claim is successful, they will only take your case on if they believe you have a fair chance of success.

Can I claim work injury compensation on behalf of somebody else?

If a loved one was injured in a workplace accident and cannot start legal proceedings themselves, you could claim on their behalf. This would be the case if the injured person is:

  • A child under 18 who was on work experience or working part-time
  • An adult who suffered a severe injury in the accident, such as brain trauma, or has another condition like:
    • An intellectual disability such as Down syndrome
    • A mental health illness like bipolar disorder
    • A neurodegenerative disease like Alzheimer’s
    • Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)

If you decide to make an accident claim for someone else, your solicitor will help you be appointed as their litigation friend. For this, you must fill in and file a certificate of suitability and a certificate of service to the court. The court will check you are suitable for the role by making sure:

  • Your interests do not conflict with the claimant’s
  • You can make fair and competent decisions about the case

You will have several duties as a litigation friend, such as:

  • Keep the claimant’s best interests in mind
  • Deal with correspondence and sign legal documents
  • Instruct solicitors and take legal advice
  • Pay any fees requested by the court
  • Consider any settlement offers from the defendant

If you manage to secure compensation for a child, a judge must approve the amount of money that is awarded. They will examine the evidence during an Infant Approval Hearing and decide whether the settlement is fair. The compensation awarded to a child will typically be kept in a court bank account and released to them on their 18th birthday.

If you have lost a loved one through a fatal workplace accident, you may be able to claim compensation as long as you can prove that you were a dependant of the victim.

The HSE reports that in 2021/2022, there were 123 fatal injuries to workers. What is more, the HSE highlights that there are an estimated 13,000 deaths per year that occur because of past work accidents and risks, with a predominant cause being exposure to substances such as asbestos and chemicals.

To make a claim following a work-related fatality, you must be a dependant. A dependant can be any person who has one of the following relationships with the person who has died:

  • Child
  • Step-child
  • Spouse or ex-spouse (husband, wife or civil partner)
  • Cohabiting partner of at least two years
  • Parent
  • Grandparent
  • Sibling

fatal accident in the workplace will be processed in the same way as other personal injury claims. This means that your solicitor will need to gather evidence and build a case to prove that your loved one died due to their employer’s negligent action or inaction.

If solicitors can demonstrate that your loved one died because of the employer’s fault and that you are a dependant of the deceased, you should be able to claim compensation.

The amount of compensation that you will be awarded will depend on a number of factors, including:

  • The injuries, pain and loss suffered by the deceased because of the accident
  • The financial loss to dependants
  • Funeral costs
  • Probate costs
  • Any related losses, such as emotional distress, that the family have suffered because of the death.

key-takeaways-iconKey takeaways

  • Your employer has a duty of care to protect your health and safety at work. If they have failed to do this and you have sustained an injury or illness as a result, you may have a valid claim.
  • The time limit to start a claim against your employer is usually three years from the date of the accident, or when you became aware of your injury.
  • All UK employers are legally required to hold valid Employers Liability insurance to cover workplace injuries. If your claim is successful, your compensation would be paid by this insurance policy.
  • Your employer cannot dismiss you or discriminate against you for making a claim. If they do, you could take further action against them under employment law.
  • How much compensation you can claim will depend on the type and severity of your injuries, whether you have any ongoing or permanent symptoms and your out-of-pocket expenses. This can include lost wages, the cost of private medical treatments and transportation costs.
  • You can make a claim on a no win no fee basis. This means there are no upfront costs, and you only pay your solicitor a success fee if your claim is successful. This can be up to 25% of your compensation.

Friendly personal injury solicitors are ready to help

We fully understand that it can be daunting to make a personal injury claim against your employer. You are likely to have concerns about the possible impact that this might have on your future working relationship. However, it is vital to remember that it is your legal right to be compensated for injuries and losses that weren’t your fault and that your employer is legally required to be insured for such occurrences.

The solicitors we work in partnership with are highly experienced in processing claims professionally and proactively. Working on a 100% no win no fee basis, your solicitor will strive to secure you the highest amount of compensation whilst maintaining clear communication from start to finish.

Making a claim can not only help to compensate you for your losses and the pain suffered from your injury, but it can also help to minimise the chance of your colleagues falling victim to the same situation. This is because an accident claim will often encourage an employer to take a closer look at the working environment or practices and rectify the shortcomings which caused your injury or illness to occur. After all, most employers will try hard to provide a safe place of work and won’t want their employees to be injured.

Want to find out if you have a valid claim for a work accident? Contact a solicitor today to discuss your case. You will be provided with a free case assessment service and will be told the likelihood of your claim being successful. To get started, request a callback from a friendly legal advisor or call free on 0800 678 1410.

CTA Image

Speak to a legal advisor, today!

Friendly legal advisors are available to discuss your work accident claim today.

  • Find out if you have a valid claim
  • A risk free, no win no fee service
  • We are available 7 days a week
  • Experienced personal injury lawyers

*Personal injury claims are provided on a no win no fee basis. If your claim is successful, your solicitor will receive a success fee of up to 25% of your compensation. If any additional costs could be payable, such as taking out legal protection insurance, these would be fully explained upfront by your solicitor before you decide to proceed with your claim. Termination fees may apply based on time spent on your case, or in situations such as: lack of cooperation, deliberately misleading your solicitor, failing to attend scheduled medical or expert examinations, or not appearing at a required court hearing. Please visit our guide to no win no fee claims page for further information.


Last edited on 16th Jul 2024

With over 15 years in the legal industry, Nicholas Tate has a wealth of knowledge and experience covering all types of personal injury and clinical negligence claims.